The Senior Food Box (also known as Commodity Supplemental Food Program or CSFP) Program is a critical service provided to low-income seniors age 60 or older. Now more than ever there are people facing food insecurity that are counting on Hawaiʻi Foodbank and we need healthy individuals and groups to continue helping us provide food to those facing hunger in our community.
We would prefer you be overly cautious. If you are ill or experiencing symptoms of illness, please refrain from volunteering. Anyone exhibiting signs of illness will be asked to not participate. Symptoms can include a fever, cough or shortness of breath. See the CDC’s symptom information HERE. We will be doing temperature checks upon check-in.
We are scheduled for Saturday, March 18 from 8 am – 12 pm with a 7:30 am check in time at our warehouse, 2611 Kilihau St, Honolulu, HI 96819. All volunteers are required to fill out the volunteer application form if they have not already, and please arrive a bit before 8am to sign in:
The packing will take place in our parking lot under a tented area. Only street parking will be available. Parking is prohibited at Goodwill. We recommend that you plan to allow enough time to park, walk to the warehouse and sign in before 8 am.
What to wear/bring:
- Personal Protective Equipment (gloves and mask). Masks are optional, but highly encouraged as social distancing will not be enforced.
- Covered shoes are required (both heels and toes must be covered). Volunteers without covered shoes may be asked to refrain from volunteering.
- Hair tied back.
- Pants/jeans. Mid-thigh length shorts are acceptable.
- No sleeveless, midriff baring, skirts or low-cut tops.
- Hats & sunscreen are recommended.
- Work gloves (if you have them).
- Reusable water bottle.
Volunteer Duties & Requirements:
- Volunteers will help pack 2,300 “healthier choice” food boxes for O’ahu and Kaua’i senior citizens.
- Volunteers must be able to stand for the duration of the activity and perform repetitive movements.
- Volunteers must be able to lift at least 30 lbs.
- For safety reasons, volunteers who are more than 5 months pregnant will be asked to refrain from volunteering.
- Back packs and large bulky items are discouraged.
- This activity is restricted to volunteers 16 years of age or older.
- Cell phone use is not permitted while volunteering in the assembly line.
Note: If you have never been to a CSFP packing before – please note that this work is highly physical and requires individuals to stand and make repetitive movements (bending and lifting) for the duration of the packing. Volunteers are allowed breaks as needed, however, if you are unable complete such tasks, we ask that you do not volunteer for this packing.
Thank you for your willingness to serve those in need! We look forward to serving alongside you!
Questions or concerns? - please reach out to Linda Char at: firstname.lastname@example.org